|The former Fort Homer W. Hesterly National Guard Armory is significant at the local level under Criterion A in the area of Military History and Entertainment/Recreation and under Criterion C in the area of Architecture. ~tis also significant under Criterion B for its association with Lieutenant Colonel Homer Wynne Hesterly, who was the commanding officer of the 1 16th Field Artillery Battalion stationed at the armory from 1934 to 1954, a!d who was instrumental in reorganizing the Florida National Guard in Tampa after the First World War. The Armory is designed in the Art Deco style, a modem architectural style popularized from the 1920s through 1940s. The Armory is an outstanding example of the shift in function and purpose of the N a tiona] Guard during the early twentieth century nationwide. A product of the Works Progress Administration, the armory remained s.n active Florida National Guard Armory until October 2004, when the guard moved to a new facility in Pinellas County. In addition to providing arms storage, operations and drill space for the Guardsmen, the lu'lllory also served Tampa's community as a venue for sporting events, social gatherings, and speaking engagements.