|The Chapman Coal Company Garage and Stable is an important surviving building in what was an historically evolving light industrial complex established by local businessman J. Edward Chapman in the early 20th -century. In 1906, Chapman- an established local coal dealer moved his coal business from downtown to the edge of the city at Nand North Capitol Streets NW. There he expanded several sizeable lots into a coal yard with stable buildings and a small coal office facing N Street. One of the stables, a three-story brick structure built by Chapman in 1906, housed at least 103 horses on the lower stories, and a box factory in the third story, before it was destroyed by fire in 191 0 and converted into a single-story box factory and warehouse that it remains today. The coal yard, stables and box factory and work spaces essentially filled the center of the square located between N Street and Hanover Place and North Capitol and First Streets, NW.