|Forest Grove School No.5 is of local significance as a one-room school under criterion A as an example of rural schools in Iowa and of the national trends in education. Forest Grove School No. 5 was the fifth independent school district formed in Pleasant Valley Township and served to educate students in grades kindergarten to 8th grade beginning in 1873, when the schoolhouse was built, to 1957, when it closed . A photo taken in 1881 of a schoolhouse near Davenport, lA, with very similar structural features as Forest Grove School No. 511 suggests that a common design plan may have been used for construction of rural schools in eastern Iowa during the late 19th century. Unfortunately, Forest Grove School No.5 is the last representative of these original five rural schoolhouses that once served the early settlers of Pleasant Valley Township. The preservation of the original form and location of Forest Grove School No . 5, with its three pieces of original playground equipment (Photos #9 and #1 0) provide physical evidence of early education in Iowa. Forest Grove School No. 5 remains a cherished landmark of our local heritage representing 84 years of education in Iowa.