National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

Property Name Florence and John R. Pond House
Reference Number 13000773
State New Mexico
County San Juan
Town La Plata
Street Address 1875 Highway 170
Multiple Property Submission Name N/A
Status Listed 9/25/2013
Areas of Significance EXPLORATION/SETTLEMENT, SOCIAL HISTORY, ARCHITECTURE
Link to full file http://www.nps.gov/history/nr/feature/places/pdfs/13000773.pdf
Image
The Florence and John R. Pond House is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places at the local level of significance under National Register Criteria A and C. The house is historically significant for its connection to the community of La Plata and the La Plata River valley road, the main transportation route connecting northwestern New Mexico with southwestern olorado during the late 19th century. Florence and John R. Pond were among the earliest Euro-American settlers in the La Plata valley, arriving in 1877. John R. Pond became the first postmaster of La Plata, and the site upon which the house was built served as the community's first post office. vi The house was a stage stop and supported a smithy along the road connecting Farmington and Aztec with old Fort Lewis and Durango. At its height, La Plata was one of the largest communities in San Juan County but its importance had declined by the time the Pond family left in 1902. The house stands as testimony to a time when the La Plata River valley played a vital role in the development of the region. The building is architecturally significant as an excellent local example of the Georgian Revival style and remains as the oldest stone masonry house constructed by Euro-Americans in San Juan County.

 

Weekly List Search Page

Properties are listed in the National Register of Historic Places under four criteria: A, B, C, and D. For information on what these criterion are and how they are applied, please see our Bulletin on How to Apply the National Register Criteria