|The Matthews Stone Company quarry, mill and headquarters on about 45 acres, is one of the few remaining historical collections of 19th-and early-20th century buildings and structures associated with the limestone industry in Monroe County, Indiana. The nearby former home of the Matthews family on about 2 Y2 acres, is an outstanding and rare example of Second Empire architecture in Monroe County. These buildings survive with a high degree of integrity and together with the former quarry site and mill yard, provide an uncommon resource representing the limestone industry in Indiana. Matthews and Sons Stone Company was established by John Matthews [original English spelling was Mathews] in 1862. He was one of the industry's earliest and most successful leaders, and his company was operated by the family through the 1970s. The site meets National Register Criterion A under the areas of Industry and Commerce for its significant contributions to the development and continued success of the Indiana limestone industry. The site meets National Register Criterion B under Industry and Commerce for its close association with John Matthews, referred to in recent decades as the father of Indiana limestone. The district meets National Register Criterion C under Architecture for the ltalianate/ Renaissance Revival style Company Store Building, the Second Empire style home of the Matthews family, and the Tudor Revival style Administration Building.9 It also meets Criterion C under Architecture for its association with Bloomington architect, John L. Nichols, who designed the Drafting Building.10 Overall the district is significant at the state level for its pioneering and continued contributions to the state's limestone industry, one of Indiana's most significant industries. Among the company buildings, one is and important work of local architect, John L. Nichols.