National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

Property Name Mount Sharon
Reference Number 13000710
State Virginia
County Orange
Town Orange
Street Address 19184 Mount Sharon Lane
Multiple Property Submission Name N/A
Status Listed 9/9/2013
Areas of Significance ARCHITECTURE
Link to full file http://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/13000710.pdf
Image
The Mount Sharon house, located on approximately 77.5 acres near Orange, Virginia, has local architectural significance under Criterion C for the National Register as both an excellent example of a restrained Georgian Revival-style country house, and as the only complete Virginia commission by noted New York architect Louis Bancel LaFarge. (LaFarge's only other known Virginia commission was a portico for the main house at Retreat, a late 18th century frame Federal plantation house with later additions, some two miles north of Mount Sharon near Rapidan in northern Orange County.) Built by general contractor Reid A. Dunn, the Mount Sharon residence exhibits LaFarge's mastery of Georgian Revival design and proportion, as well as his attention to fine craftsmanship and his familiarity with the modern building technology and systems of the late 193 Os, including such features as reinforced concrete and steel construction for strength and fireproofing, a humidification system, and central low-pressure steam heating. In addition to the main house, the property contains brick gateposts from the previous (begun 1888) Mount Sharon house, and three contributing buildings: a late 19 th century manager's house and (both built ca. 193 7 and contemporary with the current main house) a small garage and a larger frame chauffeur's quarters and garage. Six additional resources: two simple pole barns, a run-in shed, two storage sheds, a small stable, and a landscaped garden (site), date from the late 1980s to early 1990s and are non-contributing resources. The period of significance for the property is 1888-193 7, beginning with the construction of the early gateposts still present from the 19th century and ending with the date of the construction of the present house.

 

Weekly List Search Page

Properties are listed in the National Register of Historic Places under four criteria: A, B, C, and D. For information on what these criterion are and how they are applied, please see our Bulletin on How to Apply the National Register Criteria