|Fremont High School is significant under Criterion A at the local level as Fremont's high school and as an important local community center. Constructed in 1926~27, the new high school, designed by Lansing architect Judson N. Churchill, was designed to address perennial overcrowding in Fremont's schools due to a growing population and the expansion of the high school curriculum in the early part of the twentieth century. The new high school also provided room for Newaygo County's normal school, a program that provided teachers for the county's rural one and two room schools in the face of chronic teacher shortages throughout rural Michigan. The school today incorporates two major additions. In 1961 a gymnasium/natatorium complex, designed by prolific school architects the Warren S. Holmes Company, was constructed as a stand~alone building facing in the opposite direction from the main school. In 1988, an addition connected the two buildings and provided additional classroom, office, and support space. The 1988 addition, while it is outside the period of significance, is compatible with the earlier two buildings and, due to its placement, does not detract from the ntegrity of the public-facing portions of the 1927 and 1961 buildings.