|Opened in 1915, Lexington Elementary School was built on the west side of Grand Rapids, Michigan. In a well-established neighborhood of small frame homes, the school was built to the south of an earlier Lexington [alternately Jefferson] school dating from the 1860s, which was later tom down and the street between vacated, leaving an open expanse adjacent to the new school. Architect Henry H. Turner designed the building as a school for students in kindergarten and grades one through six. As one of the first Grand. Rapids schools designed to house a variety of new programs - kindergarten, gymnasium/social center and branch library among them - and the sole building among them retaining its original footprint, Lexington is significant under Criterion A [Education]. The Lexington School is notable as one of the first two school buildings of many Turner designed for the Grand Rapids school system over the next two decades. The school's interior layout was one of Grand Rapids' first designed to ensure a safer environment in view of increased contemporary concern on fire safety. For these reasons, as well as for incorporating features in the service of new school functions, Lexington is signi.ficant under. Criterion C (Architecture).