National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

Property Name Saint Henry's Evangelical Lutheran Church and Cemetery
Reference Number 13000665
State Michigan
County Houghton
Town Laird Township
Street Address M-38
Multiple Property Submission Name N/A
Status Listed 9/4/2013
Areas of Significance Architecture, Ethnic Heritage: Finnish
Link to full file http://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/pdfs/13000665.pdf
Image
St. Henry's Evangelical Lutheran Church and Cemetery reflects the long Finnish American heritage in the Nisula area in Houghton County's Laird Township and, more broadly, in the western Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Finnish settlement in the township began in 1894, and the church and cemetery property at Nisula was set aside during that year and the present church built in 1904. St. Henry's Church and Cemetery form the pre-eminent local landmark of the area's long and continuing Finnish heritage. Nisula was the first Finnish Lutheran congregation established in the area and its building is the oldest Finnish Lutheran church building in the area.

 

Weekly List Search Page

Properties are listed in the National Register of Historic Places under four criteria: A, B, C, and D. For information on what these criterion are and how they are applied, please see our Bulletin on How to Apply the National Register Criteria