|The Melrose-Rugby neighborhood was developed between 1916 and 1949 as part of an early planned residential suburb of the City of Roanoke, Virginia. The historic district represents a small portion of the subdivision developed by the Rugby Land Corporation that was annexed by the City of Roanoke between 1925 and 1949. The district also includes several lots located along 14th Street SW that were developed by the Eureka Land Company. Located northwest of downtown, Melrose-Rugby's development as a working-class suburb was directly associated with the growth of Roanoke during the first half of the twentieth century, the national desire for the healthier living conditions of the suburbs, and the improvements in transportation that made commuting to work affordable. Of the 141 total resources, 113 (80%) are contributing and 28 (20%) are non-contributing. The Melrose-Rugby Historic District is eligible for listing on the National Register under Criteria A and C for significance on the local level in the areas of Architecture and Community Planning, with a Period of Significance of 1916, the date the Rugby Land Corporation platted the area, to 1949 when the City of Roanoke annexed the area of the district and the Rugby Land Corporation sold its last lots to the City.