|Elmwood Cemetery is a 50-acre municipal cemetery established in Norfolk County (now in the City ofNorfolk), Virginia, in 1853. It is contiguous with Norfolk's first public cemetery, Cedar Grove, established in 1825. Elmwood is filled with an abundance of Victorian funerary art and displays a wealth of material culture relating to the Victorian attitudes toward death and mourning. It contains the graves of individuals and groups who made noteworthy contributions to the city, state, and nation. The works of both local and nationally recognized artisans, sculptors and stonemasons may be found there. It contains abundant resources for the study of the social, political, economic, cultural and ethnic heritage of the area. Elmwood continues to serve as an active city cemetery. Elmwood Cemetery is locally significant under Criteria A and C and areas of significance are Social History, Art, Architecture, and Landscape Architecture. The property is locally significant under Criterion B as the final resting place for numerous individuals whose contributions to Norfolk's development are significant, as well as historic figures who achieved prominence on a statewide or larger scale, in particular the following individuals: Littleton Waller Tazewell, Sr., Hugh Blair Grigsby, James Barron Hope, David Minton Wright, Walter Herron Taylor, Robert Morton Hughes, William Sloane, Williams. Forrest, and Lycurgus Berkley, Sr. Elmwood Cemetery meets Criteria Considerations C and D as it derives significance from its association with historic events and individuals and its design characteristics. Elmwood's period of significance begins with the establishment of the cemetery in 1853 and ends with the construction of the Superintendent's Office in 1931.