|The Albert and Celestine Mabey House, an Italianate and Victorian house constructed in 1898, is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places under Criteria A and C with a period of significance from 1898 to 1912. The property is eligible within the Historic Resources of South Jordan, Utah Multiple Property Submission. The associated historic context is the Agricultural Expansion 1892-1913. The Mabey House is significant under Criterion A in the area of Agriculture because it is associated with a period in which South Jordan changed from one of subsistence living to a community of stability and prosperity due to the expansion of agricultural ventures. Although Mabey availed himself of the work associated with the nearby mines and smelters, after he settled in South Jordan in 1884 his primary occupation was farming and raising sheep. He and his partners, his brother Joseph and Samuel Maynard, wintered their flocks west of the Great Salt Lake and in southern Idaho. Mabey participated in and benefitted from South Jordan's economic expansion, which in tum is reflected in this property. The house is also significant under Criterion C as a well-preserved example of a late Victorian house form built by South Jordan residents during this time period. It clearly conveys the transition from the architecture found during the historic context, Settlement (Canal Building Period) 1859-1891 , during which the first permanent structures of the community consisted of locally-available materials such as log and adobe brick constructed in simple massing forms. By the time the Mabey House was constructed, Salt Lake County residents had access to the stylistic trends and materials used nationally. The Mabey House reflects this exposure to wider markets and the greater affluence enjoyed by a number of South Jordan farmers associated with the Agricultural Expansion 1892-1913 historic context. The Mabey House is one of several homes constructed at the tum ofthe twentieth century in South Jordan constructed in the Victorian style, but is also unique as the community's only residence from this period with a nod to the Italianate style and a side-passage plan. The house is in excellent condition and is a contributing historic resource of South Jordan.