|The Packer Farm and Barkersville Store are architecturally and historically significant resources which share salient associations with the early history of this part of the Town of Providence, Saratoga County, and three generations of the Packer family. The centerpiece of the nominated property, the Packer dwelling, was moved to this site from an earlier location ca. 1857, and remains a highly interpretable example of local vernacular architecture which is expressive of the modest circumstances of the Packer family and contemporary domestic tastes. It was aggrandized ca. 1859 by its owner, Nathan Packer (1814-1897), a carpenter by trade and also a farmer and millwright, who in the latter capacity worked in association with the Barker family, which had established milling enterprises in Barkersville by the early nineteenth century. Family tradition maintains that Packer oversaw work on the house in the 1850s; some aspects of the house suggest it was built in the first quarter of the nineteenth century and, as such, not by Packer himself. Additional interest is gained by the inclusion of the Barkersville store, which was built ca. 1893 and continued in operation under the auspices of three generations of the Packer family before finally closing in 1978. The store is an important representation of the small commercial establishments which served rural populations in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The property is being nominated under Criterion A, at the local significance level, in the area of commerce, as the store remains to chronicle this aspect of Barkersvilles history. It is also being nominated in association with Criterion A in the area of agriculture. Additional significance is cited in association with Criterion C, in the area of architecture, given the survival of the house in a state that accurately conveys its mid-nineteenth century appearance, during the first generation of the Packer familys residency, and for the survival of the other contributing components as well. The main barn, like the house, was by traditional accounts also moved to the property ca. 1857.