|Lake View Grange No. 970 is an architecturally and historically significant resource in the Essex County, New York hamlet of Westport. Erected in 1928, the building served but briefly in a grange-associated capacity, as in 1940 that organization disbanded. By 1950 the building was owned by the DePew family and it was at this time that it functioned as DePews Roller-Rink, a recreational function it continued to assume following its acquisition by the Lasher-Still Post No. 324 of the American Legion in 1953. In 1971 it was acquired by the village and town of Westport to serve as municipal offices and as a youth center and it continues to function in this capacity presently. Westports Lake View Grange No. 970 was organized in 1903 with 15 charter members and by the 1920s numbered over 150 members. The new hall, built under the oversight of local contractor Vernon Gough, was in service by the fall of 1928. When the Lake View Grange disbanded the existing membership, which numbered over 100, united with the grange at Wadhams. The faade of the nominated building displays modest classically inspired features, most notably the large semi-circular fanlight that calls notice to the principal entrance; its design was, nevertheless, largely bound to practical considerations, with only minimal ornamental embellishment. Plan-wise the building was conceived to accommodate grange-related functions, with a large meeting hall with stage on the first floor, and a large dining hall and kitchen on the lower floor. It was the presence of this large open volume on the principal floor that allowed the building to function as a roller-rink during the 1950s. The building is being nominated at the local significance level in association with Criterion A, in the area of Social History, for its relationship with The National Grange of the Order of the Patrons of Husbandry, referred to more simply as the Grange, and in the area of Entertainment/Recreation for its association with the roller rink operated there during the 1950s. It is additionally being nominated under Criterion C, in the area of architecture, as an interpretable example of ca. 1920s grange hall design.