|The District# 5 School is significant under National Register Criteria A and C at the local level. It is the oldest surviving schoolhouse in Shrewsbury. It is also among the oldest and best preserved one-room schools in Massachusetts. During the 19th century, nearly all of Shrewsbury's schools occupied one-room schoolhouses; yet, with the exception of the 1828 District# 5 School and the 1858 District# 2 School, none are known to exist intact today. Shrewsbury's ca.l830 Brick School (District# 1 School), opposite the common in the town center, is nearly as old as the District# 5 School. A much larger building, with a meeting hall on the second floor, it did not take the typical one-room schoolhouse form. Other Shrewsbury one-room schools have been converted to new uses, which typically have required additions and alterations, both exterior and interior, or have been moved to other locations and subsequently altered. In many cases, former schools were simply dismantled for reuse in the construction of other buildings. Similar alteration or dismantling has been the fate of most one-room schoolhouses in other Massachusetts towns, too, making the good state of preservation of this school building somewhat unusual.