|The Roslindale Substation was one of five alternating current to direct current electric converting substations to go online after completion of the alternating current-generating South Boston Power Station. The location of the substation in Roslindale reflects the growth and development of this area of the city at the turn of the century, as well as the development of the city's transportation system. The building was designed by architect RobertS. Peabody and Stone & Webster Engineers, who were also responsible for the construction. The design and decorative details illustrate the pride taken in Boston' s cutting-edge electrical system for its expansive transit system, which was one of the first in the country. The building is not only an example of the work of Peabody, together with Stone & Webster, but also is a well-preserved example of their work in the Classical Revival style. Construction of the building began in early 1911; it was completed and in service by November of 1911 (see Illustration 1). The building operated as a substation until1971, when it was taken out of service. It has remained vacant since that time. The substation and its counterparts played an important role in Boston' s transit history. The building and larger electrical system were designed and constructed by internationally known architects and engineers. The Roslindale Substation retains integrity of location, design, setting, materials, workmanship, feeling, and association, and is individually eligible for listing in the National Register ofHistoric Places at the local level under Criteria A and C. The area surrounding the Roslindale Substation, Roslindale Village, is potentially eligible for listing in the National Register as a district, as it is the commercial and community center of the neighborhood of Roslindale.