|The Brigadier General George P. Scriven House, now also known as the Headquarters Building ofthe National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century, was constructed as a singl&family dwelling in 1884 by architect and builder George B. Whiting. Located at 1300 New Hampshire Avenue, N.W., this three-story townhouse served as the home of Brigadier General George P. Scriven, who pioneered the development of military aviation before and during World War I. This period marked his influential years as Chief Signal Officer of the Army's Signal Corps and as the first Chairman of the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA), the direct predecessor to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). During this time, he was a leader in the establishment of both the Army Air Corps, which was the forerunner ofthe U.S. Air Force, and the Langley Memorial Aeronautical Laboratory, which continues today as the oldest ofNASA's research centers. These accomplishments established aviation as a crucial component of the U.S. military, and provided the means for continued aviation research, placing the country at the forefront of aviation through the remainder of the twentieth century. Scriven resided at the house in Washington, D.C.'s prominent Dupont Circle neighborhood during the period when he achieved prominence as a leader in introducing aviation to the U.S. military. Scriven used the house as a center for entertaining important military and political figures, as evidenced by his addition of a two-story ballroom to the house in 1901. Since the second quarter of the twentieth century, the rehabilitated building has served as the headquarters of the National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century, a national organization of women devoted to the documentation and commemoration of America's colonial heritage. The Brigadier General George P. Scriven House is eligible under Criterion B with a period of significance extending from Scriven's purchase of the house in 1893 to 1918, when Scriven began renting the property to civic groups. Located on the northwest comer of the intersection ofNew Hampshire Avenue and N Street, the townhouse is noted as a contributing resource to the Dupont Circle Historic District for its architectural significance.