|Mary Ray Memorial School is significant at the local level under Criterion C in the area of architecture as an excellent example of a rural school building with elements of the Greek Revival style. According to Public Elementary and Secondary Schools in Georgia, 1868-1971, a statewide historic context, early rural public schools in Georgia usually consisted of only one or two rooms and rarely had stylistic design elements. Mary Ray Memorial School has Greek Revival features including the rectangular temple form of the original one-room building, prominent cornice lines, and an entrance portico supported by square fluted posts. Mary Ray Memorial School is locally significant under Criterion A in the area of education as the only example within the county of a school that was built by private individuals and managed by a public board of trustees to support free public education. The school taught the white children of Raymond in grades 1-8 before closing in 1949. The period of significance is from 1908, the year the school was constructed, to 1949, the last year the school held classes in the building.