|The Sand Brook Historic District possesses significance under Criteria A and C in the areas of community development and architecture with a period of significance of ca. 1770 to 1902. The hamlet, exemplifie the smaUest oftbe agglomerate settlements that developed in the region during the 18th and 19th centuries around such focal points as a mill, church, crossroads store or tavern to serve the dispersed agricultural community, but declined as they were bypassed by transportation innovations that channeled economic activity elsewhere and thwarted their further growth. The district's architectural significance derives from its church and schoolhouse, which are among the best preserved local examples of the gable-fronted plan type widely adopted for institutional buildings throughout the region during the 19th century. The stone church also is notable for its stucco-cladding scored to resemble ashlar stone, a rare surviving example of a distinctive but little documented masonry finish treatment occasionally employed throughout the region during the first half of the 19th century. The period of significance begins ca. 1770, the date which for which documentation exists for the community's earliest extant resources, its road network, as well as for Samuel Kitchen's mill, the community's original focal point (no longer extant and located just east of the district). The period of significance ends ca. 1902, the year in which its last major building was erected, the replacement for C. W. Moore's store destroyed by fire around 1900. Notwithstanding the presence of minor modem infill development as well as the loss of some early fabric to modem alterations, the Sand Brook Historic District retains its essential integrity of location, design, setting, materials, workmanship, feeling and association. In addition, although Criterion D significance is not claimed, archaeological resources relating to the area's 18th_ and 191h-century material culture also may be present in the environs of district buildings and sites.