|The Wright Opera House Block Complex meets National Register criterion A under Commerce as one of Alma's largest commercial buildings from the Opera House Block's completion in 1880 down to recent years. Built to contain five store spaces along Superior, the city's main street, and expanded in 1899 with the Lancashire Building, containing two more store spaces, the combined and interconnected building, entirely under the ownership of Dr. J. H. Lancashire by 1900, functioned as the city's largest commercial block. The building also meets criterion A under Entertainment/Recreation and Social History for containing a two-story opera house that served as a major public gathering place in Alma from 1880 into the early twentieth century and then , renovated, served as the city's Masonic Temple from 1919 until1961. The complex meets criterion B for its direct associations with Ammi W. Wright, the city's leading businessman and citizen in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, who financed the Opera House Block's 1879-80 construction and had his office and store there in the building's early days. The 1880 original section of the Opera House Block is also significant under criterion C, Architecture, as Alma's first large brick commercial block and as the city's key ltalianate commercial building both for its size and elaborate brick detailing.