|The Men of Kent Cemetery, Meeting House Lane, Scituate, possesses integrity of location, design, setting, materials, workmanship, feeling, and association, and meets National Register Criteria A and C on the local level. Associated with the broad patterns of Scituate's 17th- and 18th -century history, displaying many examples of 18th -century regional gravestone carvers, and reflecting the layout of a Colonial-era burying ground, the Men of Kent Cemetery also qualifies under Criterion Consideration D. Under Criterion A, the Men of Kent Cemetery occupies an important place in the history of the town as the oldest known site of interment. Established ca. 1633, it contains the graves of Scituate's first settlers, landowners, ministers, and builders of this early coastal New England town, as well as those of succeeding generations of early families. Among its 76 known burials, it holds the remains of at least one veteran of King Philip's War. Its earliest remaining stone dates to 1693 (Captain Anthony Collamore) and the most recent to 1803 (Mrs. Fanna Hiland). Between 1889 and 2005, seven monuments were placed in the cemetery to commemorate individuals and families significant in the early settlement of Scituate. Under Criterion C, the Men of Kent Cemetery is a significant historical and artistic resource that represents the distinctive characteristics of Massachusetts's earliest Colonial burial grounds. Covering just three-fourths of an acre in a long, rectangular shape, its simple landscape is enclosed by a fieldstone wall. Graves stand singly in uneven rows, and are marked with tympanum-style slate tablets. Many of the 18th -century stones display the work of well-known regional gravestone carvers, working in Boston and the Plymouth County area. Some of the stones have been included in Harriette Merrifield Forbes's publication, Gravestones of Early New England and the Men Who Made Them, 1653-1800, and have been photographed by Jessie Lie Farber as part of the Farber Gravestone Collection, maintained by the American Antiquarian Society.