|Completed c. 1805, Hawthorne Hill is located in Castalian Springs, Tennessee, a small unincorporated community in Sumner County, Tennessee with a population of 2,716. Hawthorne Hill is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion A for local exploration and settlement patterns. The present day 10.45 acres was once part of a 208-acre land grant given to Charles Carter in the 1790s by the state of North Carolina. For many generations this plot of land was used as a farm, and represents typical agricultural patterns seen throughout this frontier community. The property retains a dwelling originally constructed during the early settlement era, c. 1805. The house is an excellent example of an antebellum rural farmhouse with elements of Federal-style architecture such as the symmetrical three-bay faryade, simple decorative embellishments, and a four-light transom over the main entry door making it eligible for the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion C.