National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

Property Name Chagrin Falls East Side Historic District
Reference Number 13000387
State Ohio
County Cuyahoga
Town Chagrin Falls
Street Address East Washington Street & Philomethian Street
Multiple Property Submission Name N/A
Status Listed 6/14/2013
Areas of Significance Architecture
Link to full file http://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/13000387.pdf
Image
The Chagrin Falls East Side Historic District located on East Washington and Philomethian Streets, Cuyahoga County (Historic District), is significant under Criterion C in the area of architecture for the period 1844 to 1920, for the range of distinctive styles and types of domestic historic architecture represented from the Mid 19th Century, Late Victorian, Late 19th & 20th Century Revivals and Late 19th & Early 20th Century American Movement, reflecting the development of Chagrin Falls as a regional market and industrial center dependent upon the mills of the Chagrin River in the Connecticut Western Reserve. The settlement of Chagrin Falls was originally divided north/south at what is now the Main Street Bridge at the High Falls of the Chagrin River with the west side located in Orange Township, Cuyahoga county and the east side located in Russell and Bainbridge Townships, Geauga county, bisecting the Chagrin River and the mills located along its banks. (Gorretta, 32) In 1837, the west Cuyahoga county side was platted in an organized grid pattern of small lots as Graves Allotment, named after Noah Graves, founder of the settlement in 1833, part of which is now recognized as the Chagrin Falls West Side District listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978 (NRHP Ref# 74001433).

 

Weekly List Search Page

Properties are listed in the National Register of Historic Places under four criteria: A, B, C, and D. For information on what these criterion are and how they are applied, please see our Bulletin on How to Apply the National Register Criteria