|The Whitewater Passenger Depot is nominated to the National Register of Historic Places under criteria A and C for its significance at the local level. It is nominated under criterion A for its association with the growth and development of rail transportation in Whitewater. Whitewater was one of the first stops on the first railroad built in Wisconsin. The railroad link in Whitewater helped make the community an important industrial town in the nineteenth century. The original depot was a nondescript frame building that became the freight depot in 1891 upon the completion of this building. The freight house, as the old depot became known, was demolished in the 1990s, making this building the only extant resource related to the most important method of transportation of the nineteenth and early twentieth century, the railroad. The building is also nominated under criterion C for its local architectural significance as a fine and unusual example of a typical small-town depot enhanced by High Victorian style details and distinguished by its high integrity. It was the work of master architect J. T. W. Jennings , who had an important architectural career in Wisconsin, beginning with his work for the Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Paul Railroad (Milwaukee Road). The distinctive appearance of this depot can be attributed to the talent of Jennings, who went on to design important buildings in Madison, Wisconsin.