|The Tonawanda Municipal Building in the Village of Kenmore, Erie County, New York is significant under Criterion A in the area of government as a centrally located municipal building serving the town of Tonawanda, just north of the city of Buffalo. Construction of the building (1936) reflected the need for improved municipal services in a growing suburban area between the cities of Buffalo and Tonawanda. The village of Kenmore developed as the first late nineteenth century/early twentieth century suburban development in the town of Tonawanda. The site of the building was originally used for the first local school, but as the population grew, a new school was built to the south in 1911. The town used the old school building for offices until 1935, when it was demolished. The extant building was constructed in 1936 as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project. As a municipal building, it served the community in a centrally located, easily accessible area of the town and quickly became an important component of the active commercial center of the village. Also significant under Criterion C in the area of architecture, the municipal building is an excellent example of late Art Deco design and of 1930s civic architecture. It also marked the later career of Edward B. Green and his new partner, R. Maxwell James. Educated at Cornell University, Green formed his first partnership, the firm of Green and Wicks, in 1880 and began practicing in Buffalo the following year. The firm designed a number of the citys most prominent extant buildings such as the Buffalo Savings Bank (1900), the Market Arcade on Main Street (1892), the Albright Art Gallery (1905), the Twentieth Century Club (1896), and First Presbyterian Church at Symphony Circle (1891). Greens son joined as partner after Wicks retired in 1917 and some of their extant works in the city are Mayfair Lane (1928) and buildings at the University of Buffalos Main Street Campus (1927-1933).