|The Rome Elks Lodge No. 96 is historically significant as the headquarters of an early twentieth century civic organization with important ties to the City of Rome. Built in the mid-nineteenth century for either Benjamin Leonard, a prominent druggist, or Rome Attorney William S. Parkhurst, the house was constructed by one of the premier builders in Rome during the period. It was constructed as an early expression of the Italianate, and included paired, tall, narrow, rounded arched windows with heavy ornamental cast iron hoods, projecting windowed bays, a centered gable, corner quoins and widely overhanging eaves. In the 1926, the Rome Elks rehabilitated the house to use as their Lodge and the nominated building's current exterior treatment is meant to evoke a representation of neoclassical architecture that was favored for large-scale civic architecture of the period. Because the neoclassical stylistic changes were retrofitted onto an earlier, nineteenth century, building, the Elks Club lacks several hallmarks of the movement?symmetry is only maintained in the monumental portico and rear addition for example. However, modest neoclassical detailing like Chinese railings, a projecting pavilion supported by fluted columns with Doric order capitals, arched openings, a moulded cornice terminating in returns on the gable end, squared pilaster piers, paneled interior treatments and carved oval rosettes were applied to the building with some skill. In 1932, the Elks made the final contributing change to the building - the addition of a large rear Lodge room. The firm of Atkinson & Rice continued the building's neoclassical makeover, designing a rectilinear block with symmetrical fenestration, round arched window openings, and classical details like a full cornice at the eave (terminating in returns on the gable end), an ornate moulded ceiling, projecting keystones and an abundance of ornament.