National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

Property Name Capital Traction Company Car Barn
Reference Number 13000290
State District of Columbia
County DC
Town Washington
Street Address 4615 14th Street, N.W.
Multiple Property Submission Name N/A
Status Listed 5/22/2013
Areas of Significance ARCHITECTURE, COMMUNITY PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT, TRANSPORTATION
Link to full file http://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/13000290.pdf
Image
In 1906, the Capital Traction Company contracted for a car barn to be erected at 4615 14th in northwest Washington, D.C. The firm of Richardson and Burgess, Inc. built the structure to the design specification of the esteemed Washington-based architectural firm of Wood, Donn and Deming after the foundati on w as co nstructed by Edward Sastor in January of that same year. Although Waddy Wood designed a num ber o f car ba rns and powerhouses during the latter part of the 19th century in Washington, D.C ., the Capital Traction Co mpa ny Car Barn at 4 516 14th Street, N.W. is the only such facility designed by the firm of Wood, Donn and Deming. The Capital Traction Company embarked upon the building venture at the turn of the 20th century in an attempt to improve streetcar service by extending the 14th Street line from Park Road to Colorado Avenue. This extension was entirely constructed of electric conduit tracks and marked the beginning of the company's commitment to double track cars. In addition to improving streetcar travel in the nation's capital, this extension promoted the settlement of previously less accessible areas of the city's northwest quadrant, particularly north of Piney Branch Parkway. The high style Italian Renaissance Revival building on 14th Street, which has been described as being by far the most attractive in the city, was fashionably ornamented to attract residents to the surrounding neighborhood and to promote the success of Capital Traction Company and the streetcar industry. 1 The Capital Traction Company Car Barn, unlike many streetcar-related resources, continues to function as a transportation facility, with the gradual mixed use of streetcars and buses beginning in 1926. It was completely converted for use as a bus garage, known as Northern Garage, after the era of the streetcar began to wane in 1959 and continues to serve that purpose. This transportation facility remains a hallmark of both a stylish industrial building in a residential neighborhood and as a symbolic historic electric traction streetcar resource.

 

Weekly List Search Page

Properties are listed in the National Register of Historic Places under four criteria: A, B, C, and D. For information on what these criterion are and how they are applied, please see our Bulletin on How to Apply the National Register Criteria