National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

Property Name Hopkins, Judge Henry William and Francesca, House
Reference Number 13000272
State Georgia
County Thomas
Town Thomasville
Street Address 229 Remington Avenue, Thomasville, GA
Multiple Property Submission Name N/A
Status Listed 5/14/2013
Areas of Significance Architecture, Politics and Government, Community Planning and Development
Link to full file http://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/13000272.pdf
Image
The Judge Henry William and Francesca Hopkins House is significant at the local level under National Register Criteria A and C. Judge Henry William Hopkins was a lawyer, judge, politician, and real-estate magnate who developed several subdivisions in Thomasville and who helped transform Thomas County's private plantations into game preserves that made the county a winter resort. Hopkins was born in Brantley County, Georgia, in 1850 and, in 1871, married Francesca Seward, daughter of James L. Seward, who was active in local and state politics. The Judge Henry William and Francesca Hopkins House is significant in the area of architecture as an excellent example of the Italian Villa style, a variant of the ltalianate style, inspired by vernacular farmhouses of the Italian countryside. In the 19th century, A J. Downing promoted the irregularity and the shape of the roof, which rendered the silhouette extremely picturesque. The Hopkins house is significant in the area of politics and government because the house represents Judge Hopkins' achievements in local and state politics. Hopkins was admitted to the bar in 1868, appointed a county judge in 1874, served two nonconsecutive terms as mayor of Thomasville from 1886 to 1900, served in both chambers of the Georgia state legislature, and served as president of the board of trustees of the Archbold Memorial Hospital until his death in 1945. The Hopkins house is significant in the area of community planning and development because, through his realestate company, established in 1879, Hopkins developed the East End, West End, and Paradise Park neighborhoods in Thomasville and negotiated the sale of many of the largest antebellum plantations in Thomas County, helping to turn them into private game preserves, which transformed the county into a winter resort that attracted wealthy Northern sportsman.

 

Weekly List Search Page

Properties are listed in the National Register of Historic Places under four criteria: A, B, C, and D. For information on what these criterion are and how they are applied, please see our Bulletin on How to Apply the National Register Criteria