|The Attica market and main Historic District is significant under Criterion A in the category of commerce as the intact commercial core of the village of Attica as it developed between 1827 and 1915. The district contains the surviving buildings that developed along the Tonawanda Creek and the main cross streets that connected the village of Attica to other major settlements in Western New York. The early roads were purposely built by the Holland Land Company to connect the various settlements established by the company and Attica was one of the first to be linked to the companys headquarters in the village of Batavia, a short distance to the north. The Main and Market crossroad became a natural place for businesses, shops and banks to congregate. The Tonawanda Creek ran parallel to Market Street, providing waterpower to mills, some of them locating in the Market and Main area. The district encompasses the industrial and commercial core that first developed in the village as a result of industrial development along natural waterways and two main transportation routes that intersected at this point in the village. The impact it had on Attica was seen in similar small towns and villages in Western New York and throughout the United States in general in the nineteenth century. In addition to mill towns, these waterways also provided additional sources of transportation. Later, in the nineteenth century, roads and waterways were overshadowed by the railroad, but the Market and Main commercial area continued to able to provide most of the businesses needs of the village while a new section developed south of the city that concentrated more on railroad related services.