|The Park View School was constructed in 1916 to provide a school for the Park View community. The Park View neighborhood, adjacent to the Old Soldiers' Home, originated in 1886 with the platting of a former estate known as Whitney Close into a residential subdivision. An explosion of rowhouse development in Park View came after 1904, and a new citizens' association formed in 1908. Development was so rapid that by 1910, the Park View Citizens' Association began demanding an elementary school for the neighborhood' s 600 children, most of whom were pupils at the Hubbard and Petworth Schools. Although it took several years, the Citizens' Association won a commitment for a twelve-room school, to serve some of the then 900 neighborhood children. In 1914, Municipal Architect Snowden Ashford began drawings for a sixteen-room school that was constructed and opened in 1916. The Park View School was designed in a Tudor Gothic style favored by Ashford, particularly for the city 's public school buildings.