|The Union Stables was constructed in 1910 for the livery stables firm of Benjamin & Maddocks. Located in Seattle's Belltown neighborhood, the impressive four-story building accommodated 300 horses and was reportedly the most modern building of its kind west of the Mississippi. A prominent terra cotta horse head projects from the tall parapet on the primary west facade, identifying the original use of the building. The Union Stables building is significant under Criterion A, for its association with the early 20th-century development of Seattle and the horse-drawn vehicle transportation of the period, and under Criterion C, as an imposing and legible example of a bearing brick, heavy timber, multi-story stables building, of which there are few remaining in urban areas. The four-story size of this heavy timber building is unusual for its type as a stable building.