|Local ranchers W.R. and Lillian Settles constructed the Settles Hotel in 1930 after the discovery of oil on their ranch made them very wealthy. The hotel's construction coincided with the height of the Permian Basin oil boom and the explosive growth in Big Spring's population and economy. Prominent West Texas architect David S. Castle designed the three-part vertical block building in the popular Art Deco style. At the time of its construction, the hotel was the most dominant building in the small downtown. It retains that characteristic to this day. The building is a cultural landmark for the town Big Spring and is visible for miles. The hotel maintains a good degree of integrity and, despite standing vacant for over two decades, is in the midst of a rebirth. The restoration efforts, which began in 2007, should be complete by March 2012. The Settles Hotel is nominated to the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion A for Commerce as a historically important building to the growth and commercial development of Big Spring and under Criterion C for Architecture as a good example of a three-part vertical block Art Deco building by a prominent architect, both at the local level of significance. Because the hotel operated continuously as such until the 1980s, the period of significance extends to 1962, the cutoff for the fifty year eligibility threshold.