|The Hancock Point School is a one-story, one-room schoolhouse located in South Hancock, Maine. Set in a rural area along one of the main town roads, the wood frame building occupies a half acre set within a larger house lot. The school was erected in 1870 to serve the students of District #2, one of eight districts in the town of Hancock during the 19th century. Although most of the other neighborhood district schools closed in the early 20th century, this school continued educating local children until the eve of World War II, and now it is the only extant one-room school in the town. The Hancock Point School is eligible for nomination to the National Register at the local level of significance under Criterion A for its association with patterns of rural schooling in nineteenth- and twentieth-century Maine and under Criterion C as a good example of a type of educational facility that was once common throughout the state. The period of significance commences with the construction of the school in 1870, and ends in 1940 when the last classes were held in the building.