|Hard Labor Creek State Park is being nominated at the state level of significance as an excellent example of a recreational park built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in Georgia. The park is one of ten CCC-built state parks in Georgia and contains the only extant CCC Camp, Camp SP-8, built for the workers. The park is significant in the area of architecture for its remaining buildings and structures that were constructed in the park in the 1930s and 1940s. Built in the rustic style popularized for recreational facilities in the early 20th century, the extant historic buildings and structures include those built by the CCC as their work camp, in addition to the buildings and structures built for the park. The park is significant in the areas of conservation, politics and government, and social history for its direct association with the CCC in Georgia. Created in 1933 by Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal legislation, the CCC was a work program that employed young men to work in the areas of reforestation, road construction, soil erosion prevention, building national and state parks, and flood control projects. Two CCC camps were located at Hard Labor Creek, SP-8 and SP-11. Their projects included damming Hard Labor Creek and clearing land to create Lake Rutledge and Lake Brantley, building roads and bridges, reforesting land, constructing telephone lines, and building the group camp infrastructure, such as cabins, rock walls, paths, and trails. The park is significant in the area of landscape architecture for its intact historic landscape and landscape features created by the CCC. The CCC planted trees, reshaped the farmland to prevent erosion, and built many landscape features including two lakes, rock walls, roads, paths, and trails. The park is significant in the area of recreation as an excellent example of a 1930s Recreational Development Area landscaped park that included man-made recreational facilities. Group camps were built in the park for use by civic and church groups and were comprised of a lodge, cabins, dining hall, showerhouse, and administration buildings. The park was deeded to the state of Georgia in 1946 and continues to be used for public recreation.