|The former United States Lace Curtain Mills, later the Scranton Lace Company's Kingston mill, is an architecturally and historically significant resource in the Midtown area of Kingston, Ulster County, New York. Built ca. 1902-03 and remaining today largely as it was conceived and first erected, the facility is a significant example of local industrial architecture which provides a salient link to an important early twentieth century Kingston manufacturing enterprise. In a report published early in 1903 in the Kingston's Daily Freeman, the city's Board of Trade noted its successful solicitation of the United States Lace Curtain Mills company, largely through the efforts of M.C. Drake and S.D. Coykendall. Among the selling points used by the board to lure new industry to the area was the presence of the West Shore Railroad, which offered a convenient means by which to ship products to distant markets at reasonable cost; the railroad right-of-way was located immediately east of the facility. The railroad was vital to the industrial viability of Kingston, which had been economically undermined by the decline of the Delaware & Hudson Canal and the flagging interests of the cement and bluestone industries. In the later 1940s the business became a subsidiary of the Scranton Lace Company and by that time counted some 250 to 300 employees in its ranks. The Kingston mill ceased operation in 1951. The mill facility, erected ca. 1902-03, remains largely as it was constructed, with all of its principal architectural components. It is a load-bearing masonry building, constructed with local brick and bluestone dressings and interior wood framing; it consisted of the main mill building, the finishing building, and the power plant, which was connected to the other two buildings physically by ineans of a hyphen that contained the principal entrance, stairwell, and elevator. The building is being nominated at the local level under Criterion A, in the area of industry, as an important expression of early twentieth century manufacturing in Kingston. It is additionally being nominated under Criterion C, in the area of architecture, as a largely intact example of early twentieth century industrial design, built with masonry materials characteristic of the region.