|Old North Cemetery is the oldest burial ground in Truro, being laid out to the north of, and adjacent to, the town's first meetinghouse in 1713, four years after the town was incorporated. Those buried in the Old North Cemetery include members of the original proprietors, town officials, clergy, sea captains, and all others associated with the early settlement and development of the town. The Old North Cemetery was Truro's only burying ground until 1799, when Pine Grove Cemetery was established by the Methodists. Old North remained the only cemetery for the Congregational community until a burying ground was established around the third Congregational Meeting House in Truro Center ca. 1827. Significant for its Social History, Old North Cemetery meets National Register Criterion A at the local level. Old North Cemetery is also significant for its diverse collection of stones in excellent condition. The gravestones embody the distinctive characteristics of 18th and 19th century carvers, including William Codner, Nathaniel Emmes, the Geyers of Boston, the Lamsons of Charlestown, Nathaniel Holmes, and Lemuel Savery. As the cemetery grew, its landscape and funerary art evolved from that of a typical churchyard burial ground to include designs reflective of both the Rural Cemetery and Park Lawn Cemetery movements. Significant for its art, Old North Cemetery meets National Register Criterion C at the local level.