|The currently listed Florence Downtown Historic District is significant under Criterion A for its association with the city of Florence's late nineteenth and early twentieth century commercial development, as well as under Criterion C as a relatively intact collection of commercial architecture from the period ca. 1890 to ca. 1940. That historic district included resources along both North and South Dargan Streets, as well as a portion of the 100 block of West Evans Street. The portion of the 100 block of West Evans Street extending to lrby Street was not included in the original nomination for the Florence Downtown Historic District, listed in the National Register July 2, 2008, because the size, location, and impact on the streetscape of one then-noncontributing building, 126 West Evans Street, prevented the boundaries from being extended any further along the street. In addition, a large vacant lot directly across the street from 126 West Evans Street, where the towered ca. 1900 Romanesque Revival City Hall and Opera House once stood, helped to define further the limits of the National Register-eligible historic district. The large three-story brick building at 126 West Evans Street, built ca. 1891, was clad with a metal false facade since ca. 1960. In 2011, however, the metal slipcover was removed to reveal an intact original brick edifice. The 100 block of West Evans Street and a portion of the 200 block of West Evans Street are historically the most significant portions of West Evans Street, tied to the growth and development of Florence in the last quarter of the nineteenth century and the first half of the twentieth century. The historic district's boundary increase is also eligible for the National Register of Historic Places under both Criteria A and C, and includes an expansion of the period of significance. The proposed expanded boundaries contain significant and intact historic resources and some with historic alterations dating from the post-World War II period to 1951.