|The Judge Jonathan Hasbrouck House is an architecturally significant example of early nineteenth century domestic architecture in Ulster County, New York, erected ca. 1800. The house is a noteworthy representation of regional stone house construction, yet expressive of a period of transition away from established, traditional domestic forms to more sophisticated models reflecting new architectural trends. Unlike the stone houses erected in earlier eras in Ulster County for families of Dutch, German and French Huguenot descent, typically of the story-and-a-half type with traditional interior plans, the nominated dwelling was of a two-story type and spatially organized on the interior with a side-hall plan and finished in the prevailing Roman-inspired Neoclassical taste of that time. The form, plan and finish of the house portray the permeation of new architectural ideas and concepts into the vernacular landscape of Ulster County in the post Revolutionary period. In that regard the Hasbrouck dwelling is similar to the Ezekiel Elting house in New Paltz, built ca. 1799, which, though erected with two elevations in brick masonry, nevertheless offered a distinct break from established architectural norms. The nominated house, itself a strong local expression of progressive architectural characteristics, was erected for prominent Ulster County citizen Jonathan Hasbrouck (1763-1846), a large landholder who was actively engaged in the region's social, political and economic affairs, and who served as an Ulster County judge. However, this was by all indications not Hasbrouck's principal dwelling, which was instead located in Kingston, where he resided for most of his life. Hasbrouck was a direct descendant of French Huguenot refugees who fled religious persecution of Protestants in Europe and eventually settled in New Paltz and subsequently other areas of the region. The house is being nominated at the local significance level in association with Criterion C, in the area of architecture, as an important and relatively intact example of early nineteenth century stone domestic architecture. It is expressive of the transformation of the vernacular landscape in the post-Revolutionary War period in Ulster County, an era in which new design idioms and influences were reshaping the physical culture of the region. The nominated house and related outbuildings and acreage are all that remains today of a once-sprawling 500-acre parcel owned and developed by the Hasbrouck family.