|The North Street Fire Station (Hose House No. 6) is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion C, Architecture, at the local level, as a rare example of late 19th-century civic architecture in Salem. Constructed in 1881, it is a well-preserved example of the Queen Anne style designed for a civic/municipal purpose, and is of interest as the work of prominent local architect, William D. Dennis (1847-1913). It is also the oldest extant fire station in Salem still serving its original purpose. The fire house is also eligible under Criterion A at the local level. As a civic center for residents of Ward 6, the building not only served as a headquarters for firefighters but also incorporated a ward room which was used for voting and community gatherings. The construction of the building in the late 19th century to replace an earlier wood-frame structure illustrates the growing sophistication of the local fire department, as well as the continued development of North Salem as a suburban neighborhood during this period.