|The First Battery Armory, built in 1901-04, is architecturally and historically significant as a representative example of an early 2}century annory built to house a local unit of the New York State National Guard. The building is significant under Criteria C in the area of architecture. Designed by the New York City firm of Horgan and Slattery, the First Battery Armory embodies the distinctive characteristics of the building type as discussed at length in the Multiple Property Documentation Form (MPDF) Army National Guard Armories in New York State. First, it served not only as a military facility and social club for a local unit of the National Guard, but also as a civic monument designed to symbolize governmental strength and presence within a community. Second, in form and plan, it consists of an administration building with an attached drill shed at ground level. The armory is also significant under Criterion A for its association with the National Guard, an integral component of the American military system. Nearly 120 arsenals/armories were built for New Yorkls militia between 1799 and ca. 1941. The heyday of armory construction in New York occurred during the post-Civil War era of labor--capital conflict: more than 75 armories were built between the early 1870s and the late 1910s.