|The Admiral's House (Quarters A), built in 1944, is eligible for listing in the National Register under Criterion A for its association with the U. S. Navy and its role in Seattle The residence is a primary symbol of the major role that the U.S. Navy played in Seattle from World War II until the 1990s. It was not only the home of the commanding admiral and his family, but was a center for official government entertaining. Until its closure in 2006, nearly 1,000 visitors were entertained annually, including royalty, foreign dignitaries and military and government leaders. The house is also one of the few remaining physical reminders of the importance of Seattle to the World War II effort and of the vital role that the war and the military played in the city's growth and development. The house is prominently sited above the harbor and is easily visible from Queen Anne and Elliott Bay.