|The 1842 Brick School (historically the North School) is nominated for listing in the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion C for significance in the Area of Architecture. The building was the only brick one-room schoolhouse constructed in Kensington, is one of four surviving one-room schoolhouses in Kensington, and is the only one retaining its. historic school-related design and interior features and the only one not adapted for residential uses. The property is significant at the local level as a rare brick example of a mid-nineteenth-century rural one-room schoolhouse in the Greek Revival style and as a recognized landmark in the Town of Kensington. The building was in use as a one room schoolhouse from the time of its completion in 1842 until 1952. Since 1972 the building has been maintained by the Kensington Historical Society as a schoolhouse museum and thus continues to serve as a site of community educational programs. The schoolhouse retains the character-defining architectural features and details, materials, and craftsmanship that convey its architectural significance as a mid-nineteenth-century Greek Revival brick one-room schoolhouse with early twentieth-century modifications in keeping with changing ideas about school spaces and proper light, heat, and ventilation. The massing, fenestration, and decorative detailing are all characteristic of this type, style, and period of construction and alterations over a more than 100-year period of use. The plan, with only one entry, is somewhat atypical and the use of brick construction is somewhat rare in the rural setting. The distinguishing features that constitute the style include the gable-front facade, regular fenestration on the facade, the brick corbelled cornice and cornice returns, and entry with transom light. The interior is significant for its original and historic finishes such as plaster walls above horizontal board wainscoting, 12/12 sash windows, and raised field four-panel doors into the rear ell. The bank of windows along the westerly wall, fir flooring, edge-and center- bead board ceiling, suspended milk glass light fixtures, and rear ell addition though early twentieth-century alterations, are well within the historic period and were done when the building was still in use as a schoolhouse. The Brick School has a high degree of architectural integrity making the property a good example of the building practices over a period of time in history. The school is also nominated for listing under Criterion A for significance in the Area of Education at the local level for its association with the growth and development of public education in Kensington. The Period of Significance for the property represents the years of its design, construction, and completion, 1842, through 1952, when it ceased being used as a school, with the significant dates of 1918 and 1920 relating to the window and rear ell additions. The school retains integrity of location, design, feeling, materials, setting, association, and workmanship.