|Constructed in 1922, the Hamilton Hotel is a notable building in downtown Washington, D.C., at the corner of 14th and K Streets, NW on the north side of Franklin Square. The current building was constructed on the site of the original Hamilton Hotel-an 1851 brick building originally constructed as a private school and used as a hotel beginning in the early 1860s. Designed by Beaux Arts architect, Jules Henri de Sibour the new Hamilton Hotel opened in 1922 with 300 rooms and generous public spaces that became significant meeting rooms and social gathering spaces for a large community of union labor leaders. Purchased by the Manger Hotel Corporation in 1950 and renamed the Manger-Hamilton, the property continued to operate as hotel through 1972 when the Salvation Army purchased the building for use as an apartment building for single women. The property sold again in 1979 and the building was converted to offices. In 1996, the building was restored and returned to use as a hotel as it remains to the present.