Illustration 1: Plan of the battle of August 5, 1864.
Questions for Illustration 1
1. Find the location where the Union Fleet anchored after the Battle of Mobile Bay. Why did the Union Navy want to close down the port of Mobile? Why do you think this would be the best place to anchor the fleet after the victory?
2. The Confederate vessels were greatly outnumbered by the Union Navy. The few ironclad ships the Confederate navy acquired were called "rams" instead of "monitors." Find the lone ram of the Confederate Navy's fleet that participated in the Battle of Mobile Bay. Follow its course and describe why this ship's route was so perilous.
3. Compare and contrast Illustration 1 to Drawing 2. Are there any differences in the way the battle was depicted? If so, what are they?
4. Which visual, Illustration 1 or Drawing 2, would you consider to be a more accurate portrayal of the battle? Why?
* The illustration on this screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a high quality version of Illustration 1, but be aware that the file will take as much as 35 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.