Third-Party APIs and Services
The National Park Service (NPS) utilizes base map and geocoding/routing services from a number of different providers in its digital maps. In addition, the NPMap library wraps NPS-specific functionality around a number of mapping libraries that are, in turn, used by maps embedded into NPS websites and mobile applications.
This usage of, and any reference to, non-U.S. Department of the Interior (DOI) products do not constitute an endorsement by the DOI.
Here are disclaimers for the services and libraries the NPS uses to build its web maps:
- Bing Maps: By viewing the Bing Maps API on this website, the user agrees to these Terms of Service set forth by Microsoft.
- CartoDB: By viewing services hosted by CartoDB on this website, the user agrees to these Terms of Services set forth by Vizzuality.
- Google Maps API: By viewing maps built with the Google Maps API on this website, the user agrees to these Terms of Service set forth by Google.
- MapBox: By viewing maps and other services hosted by MapBox on this website, the user agrees to these Terms of Service set forth by MapBox.
- OpenStreetMap: Many of the maps displayed on the National Park Service website contain data from OpenStreetMap, which is copyright OpenStreetMap and contributors and licensed under the Open Data Commons Open Database License.
You can find more information on the general NPS disclaimer page.
Property ownership data is compiled from deeds plats surveys and other source data. These are not engineering quality drawings, and should be used for administrative purposes only.
You can download the official Lands dataset, and view the full metadata, on the NPS Data Store.
The National Park Service shall not be held liable for improper or incorrect use of the data described and/or contained herein. These data and related graphics are not legal documents and are not intended to be used as such.
The information contained in these data is dynamic and may change over time. The data are not better than the original sources from which they were derived. It is the responsibility of the data user to use the data appropriately and consistent within the limitations of geospatial data in general and these data in particular. The related graphics are intended to aid the data user in acquiring relevant data; it is not appropriate to use the related graphics as data.
The National Park Service gives no warranty, expressed or implied, as to the accuracy, reliability, or completeness of these data. It is strongly recommended that these data are directly acquired from an NPS server and not indirectly through other sources which may have changed the data in some way. Although these data have been processed successfully on a computer system at the National Park Service, no warranty expressed or implied is made regarding the utility of the data on another system or for general or scientific purposes, nor shall the act of distribution constitute any such warranty. This disclaimer applies both to individual use of the data and aggregate use with other data.