Cascade River Road will be open as normal through fall/winter 2014
Cascade River Rd. will be open in 2014 until snow conditions make it impassable to vehicles, as normal. The road closure that was planned to begin September 8 has been postponed beyond 2014 due to unforeseen circumstances. More »
Lone Mountain Fire - National Park Service Trail Closures
The Lone Mountain Fire in North Cascades National Park is approximately 5 mi NW of Stehekin in the Boulder Creek drainage. Boulder Creek Trail is closed. More »
Re-opening of Adjacent U.S. Forest Service Road and Trails that Access North Cascades NP Complex
The area closure of the Twisp River Road and the Lake Chelan-Sawtooth Wilderness in the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest due to wildfires has been lifted as of August 19, 2014. More »
Winter Fun in the North Cascades
Contact: Charles Beall, 360 854-7302
A mere five miles of road within North Cascades National Park Service Complex is affected by the winter closure of the North Cascades Highway (State Route 20) at milepost 134. This means that scenic drivers and adventurers alike can enjoy their national park all winter long:
· The North Cascades National Park Visitor Center near Newhalem is open Saturdays and Sundays 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
· Scenic drivers can access the Diablo Lake and Gorge Creek Falls Overlooks.
· Campers can access the Colonial Creek, Gorge Lake, and Goodell Creek Campgrounds (no winter services and no fees).
· Hikers can access the Ross Dam, Happy-Panther, Pyramid Lake, Thunder Knob, Diablo Lake, Thunder Creek, Pyramid Lake, and Newhalem Area trails.
· Boaters can access Diablo and Gorge Lakes.
· Rafters can access the Skagit River.
The Washington State Department of Transportation plows the North Cascades Highway to the closure at milepost 134 and the National Park Service ensures access to the North Cascades National Park Visitor Center, but access to campgrounds, overlooks, boat ramps, and trailheads is not maintained and may be impacted by winter conditions. More information about visiting your national park is available at www.nps.gov/noca or by calling park headquarters in Sedro-Woolley at 360-854-7200.
Did You Know?
North Cascades NPSC has over 300 glaciers, more than any other park in the lower 48 states. More than half the glaciers in the 48 states are concentrated in this mountainous wilderness region called the North Cascades.