Morning birdwatching walk. Not just eyes but, when quiet, ears can be used to find and identify birds.
Tune in - Help us safeguard the sounds of life
There is a whole new world of sound waiting to be revealed. Here are some tips to help you become attentive listeners in national parks.
- Take a moment to close your eyes and listen to the sounds around you. You may be surprised by what you hear.
- Speak quietly and turn off vehicle engines whenever possible.
- Look for mute options on electronic equipment such as cell phones, watches, or cameras.
- Follow park rules on motorized recreation, and be courteous and respectful on your motorcycle or boat.
- Turn off car alarms. Disable sound on electronic door locks.
- Use alternative transportation such as shuttles when available.
- Be aware of campground quiet hours.
- Be respectful of others. The sounds you make will affect the experience of other visitors. Encourage friends and family to do the same.