National Park Service
Northeast National Historic Landmark Winner
Since 1716, vessels approaching
Boston have been safely guided into the harbor by a light on the
rocky south side of Little Brewster Island. On this site, the first
lighthouse in North America was destroyed by the British in 1776.
The reconstructed 89-foot tower, completed in 1783, is made up of
rubble stone, granite, and brick, and is one of the last remaining
lighthouses to retain a Coast Guard Keeper. This lighthouse, photographed
from a helicopter in this image, is now open for visitors to Boston
Harbor Islands National Recreation Area.
have questions or comments about the NHL photo contest, please contact: