• sun setting over the gorge

    New River Gorge

    National River West Virginia

There are park alerts in effect.
show Alerts »
  • River Detours and Closures at the Thomas Buford Pugh Memorial Bridge

    The WV Department of Highways and the Federal Highways Administration is replacing the Thomas Buford Pugh Memorial Bridge on Route 41 in the town of Prince. Construction will require temporary full river traffic closures and long term river detours. More »

Places

building fronts along RR tracks
Commercial Row at Thurmond
Louise McLaughlin
 

Hiking or driving through New River Gorge today will provide glimpses of old stone walls, foundations of homes and buildings, coal mine entrances, and coke ovens decaying alongside the railroad tracks. These places provide tangible reminders of the days when the coal coming out of New River Gorge fueled the industrialization of our nation.

 
ruins at Kaymoor

Kaymoor:
Once one of the largest and most productive coal operations in the gorge, Kaymoor provided the coal that supported the Virginia iron industry in the late 1800's and early 1900's. more…

 
Thurmond Depot

Thurmond:
During the first two decades of the 1900's, Thurmond was a classic boomtown with 15 passenger trains coming through town each day. more…

 
historic photo of a lumber mill at Hamlet

Glade Creek/Hamlet:
The piers of the abandoned Glade Creek Railroad Bridge today mark the site of a former lumber mill and the remains of the company logging towns of Glade and Hamlet. more…

 
Historic photo of soldiers on the New River

Army Camp:
Camp Prince, or Army Camp, served as a training and testing ground for assembling floating bridges during the Korean War. more…

 
historic photo of Royal

Royal:
Now nearly totally reclaimed by the forest, the town of Royal was once the site of the first coal mining company in Raleigh County. more…

 
Nuttallburg tipple

Nuttallburg:
The coal town of Nuttallburg, once run by Henry Ford, remains today as one of the most intact examples of an early coal mining complex in the country. more…

 
old stairs in the woods

McKendree Hospital:
Also know as Miner's Hospital Number 2, McKendree Hospital opened its doors in 1901 to provide medical care for miners injured in the New River coal mines. more…

 
old farmhouse

Mill Creek and the Harrah Farm:
The Harrah Farm is an example of a subsistence farm active until the 1980's. more…

 
historic photo of Sandstone School

Sandstone School:
Now the site of the Sandstone Visitor Center, Sandstone School educated local students from 1925 through 1994. more…

 
Quinimont Church

Quinnimont:
The first coal shipped out of New River Gorge in 1873 came from the town of Quinnimont, named for the five mountains that surround it. more…

 
Trump-Lilly Farm

Trump-Lilly Farm:
The collection of buildings preserved at Trump-Lilly Farm take visitors back to the early days of Appalachian subsistence farming. more…

 
old ball field and building

Camp Brookside
Opened in 1947, Camp Brookside provided a residential summer camp to the children of the Electro Metallurgical Company (EMCO). more...

 
old railroad station

Prince:
The town of Prince's location in the heart of New River Gorge made it an important place for supplying the nearby coal mining communities. more...

 
Prince Depot

Prince Depot
The Prince Depot, constructed in 1946, is still active today, serving passengers on the Amtrak Cardinal. more...

Did You Know?

View of Claypool Falls

The many tributaries of the New River Gorge provide an abundance of cascades and waterfalls on their descent to the New River.