Portions of Rend Trail closed for Bridge Repairs
Portions of the Rend Trail, formerly known as the Thurmond Minden Trail, will be closed effective immediately due to safety concerns. More »
River Detours and Closures at the Thomas Buford Pugh Memorial Bridge
The WV Department of Highways and the Federal Highways Administration is replacing the Thomas Buford Pugh Memorial Bridge on Route 41 in the town of Prince. Construction will require temporary full river traffic closures and long term river detours. More »
Opened by the Electro Metallurgical Company (EMCO), a division of the Union Carbide Corporation in July of 1947, Camp Brookside provided a residential summer camp to the children of the corporation’s Alloy, WV plant. Boys and girls from ages 5 to 15 attended two week camp sessions on this “Isle of Fun” in the southern section of the New River.
Life at Camp
Traveling to Camp
A letter dated December 29, 1950 from Mr. G. W. Sears, Assistant Superintendent of the South Charleston plant to Mr. John E. Goetz, Cliffside Camp Director states that, “In the industrial camp, the Superintendent’s son may become fast friends with the son of a janitor. This is a basic lesson in democracy and good citizenship.”
Camp Brookside Today
Did You Know?
The many tributaries of the New River Gorge provide an abundance of cascades and waterfalls on their descent to the New River.